Ring door camera / bell transformer (sorted now thank you)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, i have a ring doorbell camera which is battery operated, but the battery can be charged by a ring transformer plugged into a socket. I have a single socket unused nearby and to save keep taking the door bell off and keep charging it up am buying the transformer from ring. The socket is supplied from a spur and spur supplied from a junction box into the ring main. The socket is of course indoors and the bell / camera on an outside wall protected from rain pretty much. Should I or do I need to fit a fused switch to the spur cable to protect it up to the socket which the transformer will be plugged into. Many thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
Thank you EFL just wanted to make sure, of course i see now they'll be a fuse in the transformer / plug. Yes only one socket on the spur. (y)

I have only fitted a couple of Ring doorbells.

On both occasions, the permanent power supply terminated at screw terminals on the reverse of the bell push. On both occasions, I used a MCB in a dedicated enclosure- which then used a fused flex/plug

I have seen long (micro) usb chargers on Amazon (for ring doorbells) but have never been sure if they can be used as permanent supplies. I can't see why they wouldn't be suitable but you will need to be very accurate when it comes down to drilling the exit hole. It might also be advisable to "silicone" the fitting plate to prevent water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice opps. I looked at transformers on amazon which were cheaper then the ring one I'm waiting for now, a lot had bad reviews, even a fire in one shown with a photo thats why I wanted to be dead sure about fuses etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back