Ring door bell transformer not working. Checked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a transformer connected to my Consumer Unit. I believe its 12-24v

Always worked until a couple of months ago but now I have to keep charging the battery for the ring door bell to work .

Not sure if the transformer is gone or what.

I used a martindale V28 voltage tester. On the transformer that connects to the ring. Ofcourse I proved it first which works.

When I did it on the wire it beeps and only lights up Rx . Nothing else.

1) what does this mean ? No voltage coming through?

2) what else can I check?

3) what could it be?

Sponsored Links
How long DID it work for?

What make is the transformer?
What writing is on the transformer?
Are there unused terminals in the transformer?
Could there be a switch or circuit breaker turned off?
Have you checked ALL wiring connections are sound?

How long DID it work for?

What make is the transformer?
What writing is on the transformer?
Are there unused terminals in the transformer?
Could there be a switch or circuit breaker turned off?
Have you checked ALL wiring connections are sound?

I've attached a pic.
There are 2 unused terminals.
It's been working for atleast 2 years and no there isn't any switch.

Attachments

• 20240125_192442.jpg
    20240125_192442.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 58
It is labelled as a bell transformer and hence may not be capable of continuously supplying current. Door bells are not rung continuously. There is likely to be a thermal trip that operates when the windings become hot due to continuous loading.

1706217403832.png
confirms it is designed for supplying a bell.

1706217800742.png

Sponsored Links
It is labelled as a bell transformer and hence may not be capable of continuously supplying current. Door bells are not rung continuously. There is likely to be a thermal trip that operates when the windings become hot due to continuous loading.

View attachment 330747 confirms it is designed for supplying a bell.

View attachment 330748

So do you reckon it's got faulty ?

And needs explaining with a different type ?

Since it's a Ring doorbell, I would consider getting a Ring transformer.

Be very aware that different models of Ring doorbells may require different models of Ring transformers.

Oh I see.

Ill find one... I was wondering if you look at the pic I posted ... the power cable isn't coming from the CU. Its coming from black of the board. How would I turn that off (safe isolation) to change the transformer.

Oh I see.

Ill find one... I was wondering if you look at the pic I posted ... the power cable isn't coming from the CU. Its coming from black of the board. How would I turn that off (safe isolation) to change the transformer.

I take it I just should turn off the CU main switch ?

Consider getting a Ring plug-in transformer - you need a 13amp socket.

A 13 amp socket would require an earth wire.

Absolutely not! It needs to be run either from it's own MCB, or one of the lower current MCB's for another circuit - a Lighting MCB is a good choice.

Hi mate the current one is connected like this. Which was working for a year or 2. When it was attached to the ring doorbell. Ofcourse this isn't working now. So thought I'd replace this one with a new more appropriate transformer.

I wonder if this connected to an MCB . The cable is coming from the board the CU is on. This is in the basement .

Attachments

• 20231116_043958.jpg
    20231116_043958.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240125_192442.jpg
    20240125_192442.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 24
The ringdoor bell doesn't have an earth terminal.....

Also I've bought a new transformer. ... Still same issue. . I realised the transformer was connected to the lighting mCB. ... I did a voltage test on the cable before connecting to the transformer. It showed 230v. Then turned it the MCB etc off. And connected the new transformer..... which has the right Voltage requirements.

But again the Ring door bell doesn't come on via the cable /transformer connection. It only works via the battery which doesn't last very long.

The only issue I have with the plug transformer is my sockets are very far from the doorbell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back