Ring door bell transformer not working. Checked.

The ringdoor bell doesn't have an earth terminal.....

Also I've bought a new transformer. ... Still same issue. . I realised the transformer was connected to the lighting mCB. ... I did a voltage test on the cable before connecting to the transformer. It showed 230v. Then turned it the MCB etc off. And connected the new transformer..... which has the right Voltage requirements.

But again the Ring door bell doesn't come on via the cable /transformer connection. It only works via the battery which doesn't last very long.

The only issue I have with the plug transformer is my sockets are very far from the doorbell.
Yes, but my point was, to have a three pin socket without an earth connection would be potentially dangerous if someone decided to plug a Class 1 appliance into it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but my point was, to have a three pin socket without an earth connection would be potentially dangerous if someone decided to plug a Class 1 appliance into it.

A quick UPDATE.....

I've gone bought a Ring Plug in Transformer which connects to the socket. My VT28 shows it definitely is giving out 24V!

HOWEVER when i connected it to the Ring Doorbell . The doorbell still doesn't work!. I used my VT28 to check on the Ring probes. It flashed the Electrical shock icon on the VT28!.

So I guess the problem is with the Ring Pro.

However the thing I find strange is that the other 24v transformer I connected to the MCB. Just showed only a small resistance when wired up. Which leads me to believe the wire itself could be dodgy now. It recieving 230v from the MCB.

Which leads me to believe the wire itself could be dodgy now. It recieving 230v from the MCB.

If you think it might be the wiring - Try using a mains extension, long enough to reach the location of so your plug in transformer can be located near the ring doorbell, then wire direct from that, to the ring doorbell. If it then works, then your wiring has a fault.

Sponsored Links
If you think it might be the wiring - Try using a mains extension, long enough to reach the location of so your plug in transformer can be located near the ring doorbell, then wire direct from that, to the ring doorbell. If it then works, then your wiring has a fault.

Yeah I tried that it still didn't work work with the plug transformer.

It's weired because the Ring works with a battery alone. Needs taking out to charge and putting it back in. It lasts a week.

This is so annoying lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back