Door Bell - Fault finding with multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Door bell has fallen off (well almost). Door bell connected with twin core and earth via what looks like a small grey transformer. I knocked it whilst decorating and it fell, once of the wires came off one of the back connectors of the door bell. Only held to the wall by a small screw barely screwed into just the plasterboard!!!

Anyway, put the wire back on and it does not work now. I put my multimeter on the two terminals and pressed the doorbell and nothing. I was hoping to see circa 3 volts as the door bell can also work from 2 x 1.5v D batteries.

What other tests can be performed to find out why it's not working?

Sponsored Links
Check your getting an output voltage on the outgoing side of the transformer.
If you are gettting the correct voltage ( the transformer will say what voltage it is, 4,8,12 )
If you are, try isolating the transformer then joining the 2 wires at the door bell and turn power back on to transformer to see if the doorbell works.
If it does the doorbell itself is at fault.
If it was working before it fell off the wall chances are thats where the fault lies

Stick a couple of D cells in and see if the bell works...

I tried this at first but still nothing. Which made made me then think the doorbell was faulty which then made me get out my multimeter. If there were 3 volts across the two wires that would have confirmed that but there was nothing, making me think the issue is with the wiring somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you have 2 problems?

Perhaps the trauma to the bell created a fault which took out the transformer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back