Ring Pro Doorbell (24vac) with old 8v bell system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

We have an old servants bell system in our house from the 1920s/1930s (see pics). It's rated at 8v and is currently hooked up to a Friedland 753 8vac transformer, which is interestingly outputting 15.63vac according to my multimeter.

A few years ago I replaced the front door bell push with one of the original Ring Video Doorbells and it's been working fine with the old bell system on the supplied voltage.

We'd now like to upgrade to a Ring Pro Video Doorbell. This requires 24vac and the kit includes the necessary 24vac transformer, but we still want to use the existing bell system.

I'm wondering if I can just replace the Friedland transformer with the Ring supplied 24v one or if this might burn it out the old bell system as it's too far beyond its rating? By the way, all the wiring to the various bell pushes around the house was updated in 2011, but the coils in the bell system are old (see pic)

If simply swapping the transformers is not an option, I'm wondering if, with some extra components if needed, there is a way to wire it up so that I can supply the required 24v to the Video Doorbell but only 8v (or near that) to the bells themselves?

Thanks in advance
Tim
IMG_20200209_190005.jpg
IMG_20200209_200436.jpg
IMG_20200209_200509.jpg

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Apologies, i misunderstood you thought you wanted the ring to operate the butlers bell for the front door.

john

Yes, that is what I would like. When someone pushes the button on the Ring it should ring the butler's bell for the front door and make the little indicator flag swing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can indeed. How would you wire it in?

Guess you would still need a relay, in which case he might as well use the 2 transformers he has.

I believe the transformer supplied with the Ring has output terminals for 8, 16 and 24vac (might be 8, 12, 24)

So how might I wire it all up with a relay to provide the ring with the 24vac it needs for video while only providing ~8vac to the butler's bells?

Is there a relay you'd recommend? (I don't know much about relays)

Thanks
Tim

Last edited:
I thought you were saying I could wire in a relay such that when the Ring doorbell button is pushed that the 24v transformer energises/activates the relay and closes the circuit to allow the 8v transformer to ring the bells?

I've tried to draw what I think that looks like, but I expect I don't have it quite right.
Would something like the below be possible?
relay.png

Thanks
Tim

It would appear (from a quick read of the manual) that the Ring Pro is not designed to be linked to an existing doorbell. You might be able to do something clever with the Pro Chime (included with the Pro) but it would be a big bodge- best to either stick with what you have or go for Ring 1 or 2 (which are designed to link to an existing doorbell)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back