Door Bias to Close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of light internal doors which were hung by a professional joiner when the house was built about 10 years ago. These doors are hung in such a way that they very slowly drift to the open position. I want them to drift to the closed position.
Dead Easy I thought. I packed out the lower hinge on the frame side with a thin piece of card - Result no Difference.
So I then packed out the lower hinge on the door side. No difference.
I tried the same approach on the top hinge. Again No difference.
Any ideas from a smart joiner/carpenter?
I could of course fit Spring Loaded hinges and solve the problem but a far cheaper solution would be a slight adjustment to the door hang.

Sponsored Links
you will want to adjust the relative plumb of the hinges looking at the hinge side door jamb from the lock side door jamb.
to make them more inclined to close, the lower hinge will want to be further away from the door stop or rebate on the frame. you may have trouble moving it a couple of mm as the screws will want to go back in the old holes. you can try plugging the holes with matchsticks on the opposite side you want the hinge to move.

Thanks Squowse,
I'll try that tomorrow and let you know How I get on.

Sponsored Links
Hi Squowse.
Partially successful. I moved the bottom hinge about 3mm and the middle hinge about 2mm. Door now stay still and not drifting open but did not quite manage a bias to close. At least it does not drift open now.
Thanks for your time and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back