Door chains for UPVC doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any difference between a chain for a wooden door and a chain for a UPVC door? Some specify on the pack that they are for wooden doors. I wondered if it was just the screws that would be different?

Thanks in advance.

SL08

Sponsored Links
The problem is, with upvc doors there is an aluminium frame inside, so any screws that you put in have to penetrate that to get a grip - obviously screws won't grip on the plastic exterior alone. Its possible to put a chain on, but you can't guarantee that the pilot holes that you drill will enter the aluminium extrusion in a suitable place - if you get my drift.

Is there any difference between a chain for a wooden door and a chain for a UPVC door?
None, they both give you a false sense of security, if you really think they offer ANY additional security you are foolong no one but yourself. They are useless.

Thanks Burnerman, I do see what you mean. I'll have to investigate the door I think. Would I need different screws, though, or would the screws provided be OK, even though it specifies for wooden doors? (You'd think I'd know the answer to this, really, I was married to a joiner for 20 years!!)

I shall refrain from replying to the other message.

Sponsored Links
Good morning silverlady.
Feel free to choose any type of security chain you like - from suppliers such as Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes etc. Obviously the physical size of them could affect your choice as one part goes on the frame, the other on the door. Yale and ERA are probably as good as you'll get.
You'll really need some 'self tapping' screws too - B&Q do packs of 10 - which are really tough but as the name implies, they will cut their own thread through metal.
The fun starts when you decide on the position of the chain, and ideally you should drill a small hole through the plastic, and if your luck is in, you'll penetrate the aluminium frame inside. However, you mustn't drill too large a hole as the screw won't be able to grip. I'd recommend a 2.5mm hole to start with, but if the screw refuses to go in, then step up to 3mm. If your door has glass panels, don't go too near the edge!
Good luck with it! Cheers John

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think if I can get one of those that hook up rather than the slide ones it might be better - it'll need less space on the door. I'll see what B&Q have got. I'll let you know how I get on!

Nora

I have great doubts about door chains. Apart from in a Victorian house, I haven't seen one that looks like it would withstand a good boot or shoulder.

Even the better Chubb and Era ones (like this pic) only have two screws to hold the small frame part, and a kick on the door woulds tend to pull the screws out. The "door" part with the slotted bracket looks far stronger, as it has 4 screws and the chain is pulling sideways against them.

This ERA one says it is suitable for wooden or PVC, and it looks like it has threaded inserts for PVC.

p4756418_x.jpg

I see that one also has the weakness of just two small screws for the frame part.

I see that one also has the weakness of just two small screws for the frame part.

It does but the screws are size 8 and came complete with rawl plugs. We fitted ours to the wall rather than the frame and I dont think anyone could shift it.

The weakness is where the end of the chain bit is attached to the bracket that fixes to the frame, with a good shove I can assure you the chain can easily get ripped out of the bracket.

The weakness is where the end of the chain bit is attached to the bracket that fixes to the frame, with a good shove I can assure you the chain can easily get ripped out of the bracket.

Absolute rubbish. Architectural Liason Officers could not shift it so I very much doubt you could. Did a door chain fall on you as a child?

Absolute rubbish. Architectural Liason Officers could not shift it so I very much doubt you could. Did a door chain fall on you as a child?

Ahh, do you sell them? :LOL: I needed to get through a door that had one just like that as I thought the occupier was ill. Straight through it! A good shove, a kick, probably a big gust of wind, they should be banned, load of rubbish.

Ahh, do you sell them? :LOL: I needed to get through a door that had one just like that as I thought the occupier was ill. Straight through it! A good shove, a kick, probably a big gust of wind, they should be banned, load of rubbish.

Ours have only been on the market since February so couldn't have been one of ours. Ours is made from high tensile steel and impossible to get through unless you have bolt croppers, as opposed to most of the cheap alternative that are on the market. Might be beter if you established all of the facts before making such sweeping statements. All government agencies strongly recommend the use of a door chain and have done for years. Surely it would be better to take thier word for it rather than yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back