Door contact issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit on info... had a new door fitted and the part on the door has been skipped and I am left with the part of the contact with the wires connected ..now I cant set the alarm it has 3 screw terminals with wires attached ..on one screw is white and blue wires on another one is a green wire and another one has a yellow wire... in order to set the alarm do I just loop some of the wires together for now .. but instead of replacing a door contact I would like to move the cable up and change it to a PIR ... also if changing to a PIR what colours go where... thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can't set you alarm because door contact destroyed and you have zone open. That contact also may be you entry/exit zone. Likely blue/white is a tamper and yellow/green is a trigger. Better to post picture to make sure. Yes, you can short trigger wires and it makes zone permanently closed/healtfy but in case of entry/exit zone system can't see you exit and entry. You can fit PIR but ideally it needs 6 wires as extra 2 required for 12v supply from panel. Can use 4 wires without tamper or with resistors..., anyway I would advice to call local engineer to repair it properly.

For a couple of quid from screwfix you can get a door contact and wire it.

assuming the contact isn't damaged your only missing the magnet by the sounds of it.

The PIR option for the entry exit isn't something I would recommend although it can be done.

Depending on your alarm panel and how many wires you have available will depend on what is possible with the PIR option.

Your exit method with a PIR as the entry exit zone should be timed or you may have some interesting times trying to set the alarm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys.... while getting the door put in I also had side panels put in so a dwarf wall went leaving the contact just hanging there..still got a bit of work to do so I may just extend the 4wire as now getting a 6wire in would be a pain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back