door frame not square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the (very long) process of doing up my house. The door frame to my bathroom is not square and can only really fit a sliding door on due to restricting space. Taking the existing frame out isn't really an option as I feel it is going to creat way more problems than solves. I am thinking of fitting a bi fold door but in order to do this I need to sqaure the frame. I'm probably totally wrong but would it be acceptable to fit 3 new pieces of wood, inside the existing frame, and then padding the top piece out to try and level it and make it square. I would then fit architrave round the frame to hide the work. I know this would in effect make the door space smaller but the current gap is already oversize so it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
If this method is acceptable, what type of wood is best to use and how would i go about padding out the top part of the frame to level it? My thinking is that this wouldn't be strong enough support to hold the rail/weight of a bi-fold door and so might need to get a sliding one again anyway.
While I'm on the subject, does anyone have any tips for making a sliding door fit flush in the opening so there aren't gaps, bearing in mind I am going to put architrave up so can't have the door fiing flush against the new plaster wall.

sorry for what are probably daft questions and thanks in advance.

Jay

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back