Door frame primer paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just scraped off a few layers of paint from this door frame:

photo_2022-12-26_23-18-21.jpg

I've not been able to fully strip the paint off, and it's not completely flat - but I'm not really looking for a perfect result. However, I was wondering what primer to use to achieve a half decent finish? Eventually, I am looking to paint it with Dulux Satinwood (https://www.screwfix.com/p/dulux-trade-satin-pure-brilliant-white-trim-paint-1ltr/13081).

Sponsored Links
You haven't gone back to the bare timber, other than a few minor chips (which seem to be showing old varnish).

I think that youu can get away with two coats of the satinwood. Please do scuff the surface with 180 (ish) sandpaper first.

A course sanding first to roughen the surface. A coat or two of a high build primer/undercoat, rub down with 120/159/180 sandpaper before two coats of topcoat. That should hide any imperfections.

Sponsored Links

I do use that primer but in no way is it high build.

I use it because it is one of the few acrylic primers that is easy to sand back. In most cases I sand most of it off after allowing it to raise the grain, particularly when painting raw mdf. See far left of image

mdfcrop.jpg

You do not need a primer, but if you want a higher build undercoat, then use the Dulux Trade oil based undercoat. It will have the added advantage of obliterating the old yellow colouring.

@opps thanks. So if I apply some of that oil based undercoat, will that help to achieve a more even surface? I know in an ideal world this would have been completely sanded down, but I've got 4 of these frames in total and it's been hard work getting it this far! So I'm just trying to protect my back really :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back