Door Gap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hung a door and despite the gap being perfect when pre hung and the hinges cut in nice and flush the gap is massive.

I must be doing something wrong? The hinges don’t close up right so I can’t see how I can avoid a gap.

Sure I am being thick.

CCEDE186-564D-4870-ADC2-2BEB543AD373.jpeg

Attachments

• 04D107A1-D073-4D8E-9D9C-32FC00E4E8FD.jpeg
    04D107A1-D073-4D8E-9D9C-32FC00E4E8FD.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
You need to rotate one of the wings so it sits flush with the other and refit so it looks like a T rather than a wedge. It's filpped the wrong way currently

that’s what I thought but I can’t seem to change it

These look to be the only two ways

Attachments

• FC675EE8-2FEA-4556-A351-AC7A256FBBA4.jpeg
    FC675EE8-2FEA-4556-A351-AC7A256FBBA4.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 3EC4C290-303B-4CEB-8803-3992AB6233FE.jpeg
    3EC4C290-303B-4CEB-8803-3992AB6233FE.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Hard to tell but I think you have the wrong hinges. Both wings should be the same shape and butt up to each other. I think you may have a 90 degree hinge or something as the wings look a different size and shape. Did you buy them or something you have already.

I think those hinges are designed to go on a corner rather than in the door jamb so one wing sits on the face which you don't want

I suspect that you may have fitted the "hinge", correctly called a "butt" the wrong way round. They are designed such that when the door is closed the screw leaves lie totally flat against one another but they will only do this one way - take one off and try closing it one way then the other and you will see what I mean. Also of course both the door edge and the architrave must cut with a chisel to a depth equal to the thickness of the butt leaf such that they fit flush with the timber.
Yours truly, an expert door hanger.

Not rebated enough, open then to parallel and then measure the gap between the hinge flaps, divide by two and that's the rebate death per door. The gap between the two parallel plates will give you the clearance for the door to open. Front doors have this type of hinge to allow for swelling.

Also You have not fitted the door jamb , hence the gap seems oversize.

When fitting doors i find it easier to pin the door jamb down the centre line and fit the door to that, use plastic packer wedges to centralise the door to the jambs and off the floor and then mark up the rebate depth of the hinges.

That looks like it might be a fire door hinge, maybe? Fire door hinges are designed to give you a 3mm gap between the jamb and the door. This is to accommodate the intumescent strip.

As others have said the hinge needs to be chopped in to both the door and the door casing by the thickness of the hinge leaf, but you can reduce the gapping around the door by chopping the hinge leaf in slightly deeper on the inside. This cannot be done readily with a router - it requires a hand chisel and a bit of judgement.

Traditionally hinges were chopped in to give a 2mm gap all round - any less and your door will become "hinge bound", meaning it won't close fully. Modern hinges often assume a 3mm gap as this is the standard for fire doors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back