Door Handles And Latches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a couple of door handles and their latches. They're the privacy type, where a thumb turn stops the lever from moving. Wanting to buy half decent ones so I'm looking at Carlisle Brass DL55 WC. Are they OK (as in, are they better than what I'd get in the usual sheds)?

Also want decent tubular latches so I've been reading about Zoo double sprung ones (BTW, finding somewhere online that sells both the handles and latches is a work of art). Searching back in the forum, someone said the Zoo were difficult to install. Not sure what they meant but I assumed they would just be plug in replacements. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they have a radius forend and a separate rectangular forend which presumably just goes on the front (so there's 2 forends effectively). What I'm not sure of is if this means the rebate needs to be deeper, so they wouldn't in fact just be plug in replacements. Can someone please advise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I try to avoid Zoo, for starters, the screws are soft as butter. I normally go for ones over the two pound mark, cheap ones never last.

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/latches/
Thanks. For better or worse, I've decided to use Yale latches I bought from B&Q some years ago and which I've just found (actually forgot I had them). I bought a few then (4 in a pack?) on the basis that I'd heard of Yale and their locks! I used one at the time but it didn't do well and I ended up having the whole door replaced (for other reasons) - but in retrospect I suspect it was because the Yale latch didn't fit very well into the existing hole - I remember it being being very snug, probably too snug. So I suppose I don't really know how good the Yale latches are and am prepared to give them a try. They're not cheap now, that's for sure. I don't see anyone else mentioning them which is a bit concerning. Do you have an opinion of them?

So, basically I'm now just looking for replacement handles. Still going with the Carlisle Brass DL55WC I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back