replacing door latches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm just about to replace the internal doors in my flat and I was wondering about the old door latches.

The new doors I've bought have the handles lower than the old ones so i've cut new reccesses for the latch/catch in the door frame but now I have a space further up the frame where the old ones were.
Whats the best way to fill this? should I cut a small piece of wood to glue into the gap or is there a better way?

also just thought of another question, is it o.k. to varnish the doors while they're hanging or should I take them down? I've bought some ronseal clear diamond varnish

cheers

Sponsored Links
if you have lift-off hinges, it is very quick and easy to take doors off to sand down (outside) and redecorate, where it is easier, cleaner and quicker.

It is a more tiresome job if you have to undo the screws as re-hanging them is more work. If the doors are old and heavy (or fire doors) it is very wearisome as you may not get them perfectly aligned.

I am just a householder, I expect carpenters do it with ease.

Assuming your door frames are painted, I suggest filling the holes with a small piece of wood. Glue and pin each piece in place, then punch the pins below the surface.

Unless you've got the skill to make the wooden filling piece to the exact size of the hole b(and it's not really worth trying) fill the remaining gaps with Polyfilla, then sand and paint.

Sponsored Links
personally if your going to be filling big holes then use 2 pack filler,it flexes with the timber,BUT be careful to build it up to the required depth and make sure you dont leave to much excess or its a pig to sand down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back