Fit long door latch

Sponsored Links
I'm normally doing multiples, so I use a Souber DBB (there are cheap Chinese copies of this around but not sure how good or bad they are) to cut the lock body recess and the face plate recess, finishing the square corners with a corner chisel and a sharp ordinary chisel. The door side drillings I often do with spade bits (Irwin - avoid the type with a threaded pilot), marked out using a combi square. This is the process using a Souber:

The one thing I would say is that it ideally needs a corded drill capable of 2500 to 3000rpm - a lot of cordless drills lack the speed and power to run the DBB in hardwood doors

If I'm doing a one-off I tend to mark out my openings (both for the lock body and the face plate) using a mortise and marking gauge plus a centre line (to guide the drill bits when starting them), drill out the waste with an appropriate size auger bit (see note below) and clear the waste out with a chisel. If the lock body is 18mm and your nearest drill is either 16mm or 19mm, go for the larger of the two rather than trying to ease-out the side of the opening with a chisel.

There is a far more detailed description in this thread in ridiculous detail about how to do keeps - a lot to read, I'm afraid (and I'd recommend starting at page 3...). This video shows a more complex 2-hole mortise/latch keep installation, but the principle is the same (it's Dutch, but there is no sound track...):

Last edited by a moderator:
With spade bits, I made a jig (bit of 2 x 2 fixed to a chunk of ply, perpendicular 19mm holes in the 2 x 2 set on door centreline)- clamp the jig to the door using the ply and that gets the holes started square.

Sponsored Links
With spade bits, I made a jig (bit of 2 x 2 fixed to a chunk of ply, perpendicular 19mm holes in the 2 x 2 set on door centreline)...
How did you drill the holes in your jig perpendicular in the first place? Also, how does having a hole boring jig stop a spade bit running off line? Surely an auger bit, which can ride on the outer surfaces over much of its' length, would be far better? Spade bits aren't really guidable to any degree of accuracy

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you drill the holes in your jig perpendicular in the first place? Also, how does having a hole boring jig stop a spade bit running off line? Surely an auger bit, which can ride on the outer surfaces over much of its' length, would be far better? Spade bits aren't really guidable to any degree od accuracy
Pillar drill for making the jig.
I always struggled with starting the spade bit dead square- the 2 x 2 helps a lot with that, if you start square they seem to run square for long enough.

Auger bits are actually far, far easier to drill true with, partly because you can eyeball how straight you are drilling. They'd work better with a jig, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back