Replacing cupboard doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old airing cupboard in the house whose doors/frame needs mending . The current doors are made of cladding .

Any tips on if I shiuld simply replace the door and fix some plywood on the frame to make it all look fresh and new OR

should I fix plywood on the doors and frame and then varnish them ?
Please advise if playwood can be varnished and which glue does one use to stick plywood ?

Appreciate if I can get some tips to get good finish .
Seasons greetings

Sponsored Links
photo would help

plywood looks very cheap and unsatisfactory if varnished unless you buy a far-east variety with a hardwood veneer as used on boats.

Sponsored Links
Thanks..attached is the link to the pic of the wardrobe. The current door is made cladding joined together and is quite worn off.. My options are

1.change the door to regular one' ie wood cut to size - the issue with this is that the frame will then be thinner or thicker than the door - depending on the thickness of the door and I might need to put plywood on the frame and varnish it

2.put plywood on the frame and door

3.put a veneer - of which i have no idea ie types / where to buy/ how to stick it to n exisiting surface which is not really plane and smooth.

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Picture :
http://www.gumtree.com/london/52/17173052.html [/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back