Door hook disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had solid wood internal doors fitted 2 weeks ago. Hubby and I can’t do DIY but I asked him to fit a door hook to one bedroom door. I marked the position. He drilled the holes and got over enthusiastic and drilled right through the door He then tried to screw one screw in, it got stuck half way and the thread is damaged, so won’t now move. So the hook is now half way in and I have a hole in the door. How do I rectify this- do I leave the damaged screw and put a raw plug in the other hole and just screw it in and hope for the best? What length screw do I use? I don’t want to let my husband near a drill ever again,

Sponsored Links
The hole needs some wood filler, should be near invisible if done nicely.

The screw can presumably be extracted with some pliers or grips, taking care not to damage or scratch the door.

No need for plugs of any kind, the door is wood. Select a higher quality screw of the same size that did not come with the hook and reattempt. A door hook shouldn't need anything more than a 15mm length screw if even that.

To be fair to the husband, some of the screws that come with door hooks are made of very soft metal and they are almost impossible to install without threading out.

Thank you, that’s very helpful. No grudge against husband, I haven’t a clue either.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back