Door latch not retracting fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPVC front door. When I press the lever handle the latch does not retract fully. It remains protruding by about 5mm. Is this normal and the fault lies elsewhere?

If this is the issue then do you know if it possible to just replace the latch operating mechanism (presumably this sits inside and behind the main linear plate of the door edge) or, will I have to replace the whole mechanism down the full length of the door, to include the upper and lower roller 'bolts' and hooks?

Sponsored Links
It's a common wear indicator, if the centre gearbox can be split from the main mechanism then its pretty straightforward, if there are 2 or 3 little torx headed screws around the area of the gearbox roughly no higher or lower than the handle backplate then it's removable however some gearboxes are riveted or peened on

It's a common wear indicator, if the centre gearbox can be split from the main mechanism then its pretty straightforward, if there are 2 or 3 little torx headed screws around the area of the gearbox roughly no higher or lower than the handle backplate then it's removable however some gearboxes are riveted or peened on
Thanks for the useful advice.
It would appear that there are the small torx screws present as you mention so fingers crossed....
The next difficulty is in finding one to suit. It is a 28mm backset, which I think is fairly old if not obsolete.

Presumably I have to remove the full strip from down the full length of the door and then extract the mechanism from this?
20220328_155416.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back