Door locks, catches and hinges - whats the easiest way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the easiest way, except for paying someone else, to do locks, hinges and catches for doors?

I have about 10 to do and anything which makes it quicker, easier and neatly finished I would appreciate knowing about. ;)

I was thinking about a router but I don't know whether the plunge depth might be an issue that prevents them doing the job.

Can anyone recommend something?

Sponsored Links
If you can't afford the cost of fitting, then unlikely you can afford all the kit to do them professionally.
A good drill, new bits, a sharp chisel and a thumb router/plane are all thats needed for a good result, but not quick without experience.

yep gota agree with the above,even explaining how i would do it,by using measuring rods if its a total new install? down to buying and using jigs which a lot of peeps now have.
if you have the kit but have never done this before then i would just say,TAKE YOUR TIME.

If you can't sharpen your chisel until you can shave with it - you are going to struggle.

Sponsored Links
Got to agree with all above. If you're not going to be doing it all the time it's not worth buying router and jig(s). Do it with hand tools as suggested. it won't take that much longer, and hand tools are more forgiving in some ways than power tools. Unless you know what you're doing setting things up, you can make big mistakes very quickly with a router, with hand tools it's more obvious when something's not right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back