Door Locks - Wireless with intercom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been researching but I am not exactly sure what to look for out there, so here I am. :)

Basically, what we are looking for are:

* Guest talks to an intercom by pressing a button - someone in the house needs to be able to speak back. This MUST not be an phone app. It has to be something stand alone. And portable.
* If we're happy to let the guest in, the door lock needs to be UNLOCKED remotely/wirelessly (i.e. keyfob) by someone within the house.
* BUT... the door lock will need to have a card/keyfob externally to allow approved guest to gain access.

Bonus if these above can be an 'all in one' device.

Is there one out there?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
This is one of many suppliers

https://www.videxuk.com/

I know at least four of their systems that have been working trouble free for many years.

UNLOCKED remotely/wirelessly

Using wireless to unlock a door is NOT a sensible idea as it creates a security loophole which can be exploited by criminals.

A command from a wireless fob to a internal control panel that can verify the fob and then sends a wired command to the lock to release the door is more secure. You will need power cable to the door lock so in most cases a control cable can be run at the same time

Good point on wireless, but what you have described does sound expensive. This is for a single person use who is housebound and can not walk very far. He will need to be able to unlock the door from his chair (once the person has been verified to allow them access via intercom) or any authorised people gaining access using a contactless card or keyed in the numbers to open the door.

It need to be as simple to use as possible without costing too much. I guess I'm out of luck then?

Thanks.

there is/was a system that integrates to the household phones. It attaches to the master socket and the phones come off it. They ring when the doorbell is pushed, and can talk to the caller. The phones can unlock the door with a button. I imagine cordless phones would also work on it.

The technology is straightforward. The advantage is you don't need (much) extra wiring or any additional handsets, especially if your master socket is near the front door.

I'll see if I can remember the name.

Maybe a small PABX could do the same.

edit
Haven't found it but I see some Panasonic PABX have option for "Optional Door opener interface and Doorphone intercom" so I doubt it is a rare requirement. PABX often turn up second-hand.

Example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasoni...567099&hash=item4d70164efa:g:BOcAAOSwBoBasReG

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Any door entry system can do what you want, but will cost a significant sum.
As an example, Videx do a phone interface unit which can be used with any normal phone, so the phone can be used to answer both calls and people at the door. However that unit alone is over £200, and that's just the interface module. Many additional £100s for the rest of the system, plsu installation.

For the low end (i.e. cheap) then it's items like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Response-Electronics-CL6011B-Wireless-Intercom/dp/B007D1A1LM/
You won't get any card or pin entry with those, but other options are things like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-medium-duty-push-button-lock/5661J
or even just give those who need access a key.

Also note that door entry systems are not intended for or suitable for high security - they are the equivalent of locking your front door on a Yale type latch.

Big question what type of door is it ? As the worst type for fitting this type of system is a upvc door ...the other point is ...an all in one intercom and keypad / fob reader is not allways the cheaper option it can be cheaper to fit a basic intercom kit plus a keypad for example a bpt villaset 1 and a act 5 prox unit

I bought a door bell that has a unit like a cordless phone so you can answer door bell, it has the option not used to use a button on it to release the door, however it has not really been that good.
1) There is a delay between pressing door bell and it sounding.
2) You can only answer it while it is ringing.
So door bell rung, I walk to unit, but by time I reach it its timed out, so end up opening window and shouting I am on my way.
One is suppose to be able to program it into any DECT cordless telephone, however it did not work with my BT phones and it will only work with one phone, it becomes one of the 5 phones you can have with DECT system, however then you lose the release button.

Read instructions here remember the door push is rather a large unit, and one screw to remove it from cradle, and you then have assess to door release contacts, if from hand set you could restart connection to door unit it would work, but 2 minutes from pushing door bell to completing talk to visitor is not long enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back