Door made in Oak by mistake!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for advice please on what's been a very long 6 months waiting for a new door ordered on March 28th.

Story is my original 1930's door has failed. Discussed at length with a reputable hand crated door company in Essex to get a new door and frame. Settled on a 56mm Sapele hardwood (as advised by carpenter) as want it finished black, was advised to stain in black Sadolin for easy ongoing maintenance. We have a smallish porch that provides good midday sun and reasonable rain protection. The house/door faces SSW. The lower door/frame does catch some morning and afternoon sun and a little rain when the wind is sideways.

Now it turns out the door and frame is finally finished but mistakenly made in oak instead of Sapele.

The supplier has agreed to remake the door in Sapele which is fine.
He advises the frame, in oak, will be fine?? ...says the frame portion facing outwards is only 50mm thick and ovlo so will not be a problem with the sun/rain opening the grain.
He assures me the frame is solid as a rock (some 100mm deep) so will handle the Sapele door perfectly. My concern is the oak frame and if it will,
1. accept the black sadolin ok? (if in future we decide to paint the door a different colour using wood paint - is this ok on oak?)
2. not gradually need more maintenance due to weathering?

I'm under time presure as need to get the new door in before winter strikes and the missus is going banana's over the wait.
ps. the oak frame also has encased our 30's original sidelights so asking the supplier to remake the frame also in Sapele will take ages.

Would very much appreciate guidance if the oak frame will be ok.

cheers,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Frame should be fine, just be aware black absorbs heat before releasing so more likely to get movement if it's in full sun for any length of time. Sadolins is a good choice as it's less likely to bubble and blister than paint in the heat.

Also Oak can corrode steel, use Brass or other rustproof screws for attaching hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back