Door not closing properly, rubbing the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my front door. Maybe it is good to say that I live on the lowest floor of an apartment complex and was thinking if there is something serious going on with the structure as the door is bent in the bottom half. The apartment is built in 2005.

What could be the issue and how can I solve this problem, please?

Thanks,

N

IMG_20230806_224001456_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20230806_223936397_MFNR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stand back, and take photos, inside and out, of the entire door and frame.

Then some photos of the hinges, open and closed.

What is this bend you speak of?

Does the door have any sort of draught seal or drop seal on it? All it looks like to me is a door where the top hinge is maybe a bit loose (the scratch marks are towards the outer edge of the door) possibly combined with s slightly uneven threshold which has a high spot about 2/3 across from the hinge side. Does the gapping around the door look even, or does it look a bit wider at the top on the lock side? Also have you checked the threshold with a straight edge to see if it is straight (no crowning) - you'll need an obtuse light source and a straight edge such as a long ruler or better a 2ft/600mm spirit level to see this.

Maybe you aren't aware, but the gap beneath a (front) door in a newer apartment block is supposed to be just 3mm or less, so it won't take a lot of sag to start getting floor strikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back