Door opening size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

In im the middle of a bathroom remodelling and have a question about the door opening.

The door to the bathroom is on a stud wall which i have had to alter because it used to be 2 seperate rooms.

I intend on putting a 1981 x 762 door on so I bought the ready made door liner from wickes which comes with 2 different sizes for 762 door and another size (i forget). I've made the door opening so that this 762 door liner fits snug however when I measure its at 762 bang on.... how do I get the door in if its that snug?

What have I missed here and how much room should I have, so when the door liner is fiited to the door opening if I measure from inside to inside what should it be to cater for this door size?

Your help is really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
don't know what the pros think but u can shave a bit off the door and think it would be normal to do so

A good fitting door should have about 3mm gap between frame and door leaf at jambs but a bit more would be ok

I usually make door frames about 5 mm bigger than the door width. Usually have to plane a leading edge on the door to get it swinging properly. ;) ;)

When I did my apprenticeship we still had the old money, and we carried and old penny in our tool bag to check the gap on both sides and the top was the same as a penny width.

As previously mentioned you have to allow about 5mm in the overall width. The lining may be supplied the same size as the door. Basically a bit too big to enable you to "shoot" it into size, plane it to fit. This is to allow for any unevenness of the studwork or brickwork.

So you have not missed anything out, that's the way it is.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
I used the same door liner the other week. But the bigger side of the top bit.

I thought the same too when measuring so was planning on planing the door. I fit the hinges and hung the door too check the clearence and it fitted perfectly. except I balls the architrave up slightly and had to plane that back after. (but thats another story)

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back