DOOR openings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making some openings in walls and putting up studwork etc.

Could someone tell me what width the door openings should be to fit a standard size frame in. Is it 800mm ? and is 762 the frame size. these sizes seem to ring a bell.

Cheers in advanced

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve

It all depends who you get the door linings from. Your best bet is to purchase the linings assemble them and then measure the overall size.

Doors come in standard sizes, have look here;

http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/internal_doors.html

Don't waste your time making door linings, you can buy them ready cut & rebated for around £10 (builders merchants, Wickes, B&Q etc. all sell them). Buy the linings & fit them as you build the stud/block work so they are accurate, that way you shouldn’t have to plane the doors to fit. Linings come in 2 widths to suit either 3 or 4 inch stud/block work & will be slightly wider to allow for the plaster.

It’s worth remembering 762 x 1981mm is the most popular size & this is the one you get the big discounts on; other sizes, although standard, may be quiet a bit more expensive.

Sponsored Links
the exact external measurement of the casings i use is 804mm, this is to suit a 762mm door.

we set our stud openings at 812mm to allow for a fitting gap.

when knocking through brickwork we will often make a larger 915mm, or 4 bricks wide opening. we will then fix a piece of 100x50mm sawn timber up each side of the rough brickwork allowing us freedom to fix the casing where we want, as opposed to where the brickwork will allow.

any larger gaps in the carcass timber can be either be filled with builders foam or mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back