Door trimming more than recommended, trim off the top or bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new external door, standard size, 33" by 78"

The door it needs to replace is 32 3/4 width and the height, at the bottom it is rebated against a metal weather bar, longest length 77 1/4 and shortest 76 1/2

I've no problem trimming the door, but the instructions say it should be trimmed a max of 4mm

So the length needs to be trimmed more than the recommended - I was going to take it off the bottom, just wanted to confirm this is probably the best idea?

Sponsored Links
What's the door made of, as it's strange that you can only take off 4mm - that implies that there's an inner casing. Is it a solid wood door, or a fire check door.

Anything other than solid hardwood will be a problem. I inherited a front door 2" shorter than standard and trimmed a hardwood door to fit, has been fine the last 18years.

flip, I didn't read up properly before buying... It was bought some months ago I can't even remember where from, could have been bnq
"Hatfield Glazed Back Door"
description says hardwood vaneer. Sold on Screwfix, reviews tell me I shouldn't waste my time trimming it, could unleash a can of worms...
I can keep this for my future garden shed, any recommendations for a solid glazed back door that can be trimmed?

Sponsored Links
As long as you choose a sold wood door, rather than veneered, then you'll be fine. Have a look at Wikes as well as BnQ

Thanks, Weighing up the cost of a new "solid" door and fitting time, I'm thinking i may take off the existing door and spend a day sanding down / refurbing. Thanks for taking time to reply!

Now that's true creative thinking - and a realistic attitude. Best of luck.

The door has come out better than expected. Think it had sadolin on it, now has a dark golden hue to it. What's best to fill large holes in a wooden door ? I need a different lock type so the old lock will be removed and a different type fitted. I'm thinking a block of wood to fill a bulk of the hole, and some type of filler over the top rubbed down and touched up?

2 part wood filler (or just body filler) but make sure you sand it down before it goes completely hard, or it's a bugger to sand afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back