Door Trims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a door pictured below and the trims around the glass are a little worse for wear and some are a little rotten. the picture does not really show the bad areas (Not sure why I took this)

I want to replace them, I will likely have to stain the wood with coffee or something to give it a similar appearance as the doors are remaining natural colour for appearance.

However I'm a little unsure on how to attach them.

I could go down the route of the previous owners and tack them in with nails, howewver this itself looks a little unsightly.
I was thinking about gluing them to the other wooden section of the door but am worried that it will push through to the glass and ideally i don't want that as it would ruin it in the long run.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I would say so. However Im pretty sure there is no treatment to any part of the door, just natural wood. No Oil/Wax/Varnish or anything. Maybe that helped.

And when say Rot I'm not talking majorly, and there is no damp. Its just....... weak throughout if that makes sense.

What do you mean by Pinning?

You could always try super glueing them in. Make sure all the paint is cleaned off back to bare wood. We used to do it to hardwood beads that were impossible to pin.

Sponsored Links
I would say so. However Im pretty sure there is no treatment to any part of the door, just natural wood. No Oil/Wax/Varnish or anything. Maybe that helped.

And when say Rot I'm not talking majorly, and there is no damp. Its just....... weak throughout if that makes sense.

What do you mean by Pinning?
Pin = panel pins [slim nails]
Is it an old door that's been dipped?

Use a nail punch to sink the heads of the panel pins a little below the surface of the wood, then smear a bit of wood filler over to hide it.

I don't think super glue would be appropriate here. For an instant fix you could use Mitre Bond, but it really is instant - get it right on contact or your in trouble!

Mitre bond - Cyanoacrylate adhesive
Super glue - Cyanoacrylate adhesive

:confused:

Maybe the same chemical, but it works differently.

Mitre bond uses an activating spray for example, making it easier to work with. And for a large length to use, it would be cheaper as well.

at a push you can also use water in a spray bottle to activate it aswell.

Maybe the same chemical, but it works differently.

Mitre bond uses an activating spray for example, making it easier to work with. And for a large length to use, it would be cheaper as well.

:rolleyes: Mitre bond is a brand name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back