Door widths on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so forgive any errors:

We are just building a new extension on the side of the house (garage / utility with bedroom above)...

The existing back door is on the back of the kitchen, and the plan was to brick this up, break through the side of the kitchen into the new utility, and use the old (relativley new, K glass UPVC) back door on the back of the new utility.

the existing door is only approc 760mm opening width....

question is this, is there a minimum opening width for the external door, it will be the only opening out of the utility directly outside, BUT there will be another exit from the garage into the garden...

if i cant use it, its scrap, which seems stupid to me

building regs are getting tiresome :(

Sponsored Links
You will not have any problems with the opening width but the thing you will have to check is the thermal resistance of this door in accordance with the Part L. This would or should have been covered in the building regulation drawings... assuming you had some put together for the extension? As would the installation of a new lintel, etc...

thanks

So the width is no issue, on my drawings / plans - the architecht has stated "all ground floor doors to be minimum 840mm wide - this doesnt apply to the external door?

The door is 5 years or so old, UPVC, half glazed pilkington K glass - this would meet current thermal regs would it not?

Why has the architect stated that for all ground floor doors? Assuming they're talking about all "new" doors? And does the 840mm refer to the door leaf, clear or structural opening? Normal procedure is external doors are the same, if not wider than internal doors.

Just out of interest, why don't you ask your architect about this door?

Sponsored Links
i have no idead why he stated that, and thats what it says, doesnt specify opening/leaf/structural etc, i appreciate that "normally" external doors are the same or wider, but i have this door, so wanted to use it, and was just wondering if there were any regulation reasons that i cannot.

i havent asked the achitect, because i dont rate his opinion, and he takes days to respond to queries, i have my plans, up to a standard that builder and control are happy with, and i want that to be the end of the arrangement with him.

I'm highly pratical, and TBH i was quite happy to build this myself, but the regs and rules are unbelievable...

anyways, so I'm good, there is no rule on minimum external door openings? - what about internal, just out of interest, they will all be new, so its no bother with those either way..?

The regulations on opening widths only usually come into force if you're building a new house, commercial building, etc... Providing you're not making the current situation any worse, then I can't see there being any problems.

If you're not having much luck with your architect, speak to your BCO as they're always helpful :)

great, thanks...
i shall be consulting BCO lots, but we are only at foundations (the builder is only doing the shell for me, i shall be doing all the internals / windows/doors etc) - so i havent had chance to see him yet, and the builder will want to know what size openings to leave :)

thanks for the help

I cant comment on building regs but since I started on the tools in 1957 it has always been the practice to fit 2' 9" outside doors.

two foot nine is 838mm.
I think it would be a mistake to leave only a 762mm door (two foot six) for your outside door.
Just chuck it in the landfill.
It seems odd your arch should specify 838mm doors internally. Did you tell him you wanted it nice and comfortable and easy?

Don't do the founds till you've got it sorted.

I am in agreement with DD.

You architect has simplified his drawing (lazy) so as to encompass all sizes with little pen work.

Common sense says fit a wide door externally as this is where stuff will be brought in. However where the structure or setting out to full or half bricks dictates then there is no reason why a bespoke upvc fella can't be less wide than specified.

great - thanks everyone - i actually spoke to arch at the weekend, and he confirmed the same, no restriction. I shall use my old door on the back, access i s not an issue, i', sure i can squeeze a washing machine throught the GARAGE door on the front :) - i will use 840 wide doors internally downstairs as i have to buy those, so size dont matter....

Being as most washing machines are only 600mm wide, it would pass through a 760mm width door very easily. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Personally, I'd put 78" x 30" doors throughout.

thanks all, now onto insulation - i notice B&Q were offering loft insulatuion for £3 a roll, question is what are the regs for the roofspace on the extension - it will be the full pitched house roof (hipped) exteded accross the 3m wide new build.....

ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back