Door widths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A general curiosity question

I'm looking at getting some upstairs doors replaced in my 1930s house

After measuring up I have found that the bathroom and boxroom doors are narrower than the two big bedroom doors

Is that normal? I would've expected all the doorways in the house to be the same width

Sponsored Links
pusb32, good evening.

Perfectly normal, Main room doors were wider that the "secondary" less important doors which were smaller, a minor cost saving???

The same premise applies to various areas around a property, especially older properties.

Ken.

pusb32, good evening.

Perfectly normal, Main room doors were wider that the "secondary" less important doors which were smaller, a minor cost saving???

The same premise applies to various areas around a property, especially older properties.

Ken.
Thanks mate

Sponsored Links
Bedrooms often smaller to give you more room for beds etc.

Totally agree on modern properties, in some cases the show house doors are removed, all to give the impression of Space??

Ken.

Totally agree on modern properties, in some cases the show house doors are removed, all to give the impression of Space??

In fact the doors are often never hung (no hinge recesses in the casings) and they do other little tricks like getting all the visible stuff (kitchens, bathrooms, built-ins, etc) installed and finished to a higher standard (not thrown in on price work). Been there, done that......

Hi

A general curiosity question

I'm looking at getting some upstairs doors replaced in my 1930s house

After measuring up I have found that the bathroom and boxroom doors are narrower than the two big bedroom doors

Is that normal? I would've expected all the doorways in the house to be the same width
Not unusual, my Victorian house had wider doors on the two large bedrooms and a narrower one on the small bedroom, the bathroom was a different size again. Ground floor was the same the kitchen door was even lower in height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back