Doorbell not working, how to trace the wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into our home a few months ago and the doorbell has never worked (although my other half remembers it working before we moved in)

There are no obvious wires on the inside of the door and I've scoured the house and can't find a transformer or chime unit. The only wires I can find that look possible are in the pic below but they don't look to have been used in some time.

Any ideas on how to trace the wire going from the doorbell ( see other pic) and find out what needs doing?

IMG_20170129_095933.jpg
IMG_20170129_091220.jpg

Sponsored Links
I take it that you have checked that the push works and that the bell works, and therefore you know that the problem lies elsewhere, e.g, in the actual wiring?

I take it that you have checked that the push works and that the bell works, and therefore you know that the problem lies elsewhere, e.g, in the actual wiring?
Well he can't find the bell so........

Tbh, looks like those cables have been disconnected and if you can't find the bell or tranny, chances are, they went with the previous owners (god knows why)

Sponsored Links
If you have a continuity tester you could check if the wires in the treminal block are connected to the bell push.
If so you could buy a battery bell chime.

If not, then one of those wireless door bell thingies may be the best way forward.

It may have been a battery ding dong unit just inside the door, check the inside of the wooden door frame for signs of the cable snipped off or screwholes from the fixings,
Its not easy to conceal a cable in solid wood, so you may be able to work it out from looking closely at the framework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back