Doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a large bungalow, above our front door in our hallway we have the doorbell chime connected to a transformer, and wired to the electrics.
When we are in the kitchen, bathroom or living room we hear the doorbell fine, however if we are in any of the bedrooms it is totally inaudible.
I was wondering if it is possible to attach another chime to the exsisting one and site it outside our bedroom doors ?
I am unsure as to the electrical side of these wired doorbells - am i right to assume that they are on the lighting ring main ?? And if possible to add an extra on would i need to purchase bell wire or could i use the 1mm electrical cable that i have lying around spare in my loft ?

Sponsored Links
The second bell would normally connect in Parralel to the first bell.

Alternatively it may be possible to wire it to the transformer position. depending if the pushbutton cable goes back to that point.

The transformer output is usually less than 12 volt so depending on total length and volt drop bell wire is usualyl used, 1mm T+E may be bit overkill. but technically cannot see why not.

Voltdrop is sometimes a pain with doorbells and if the amp output of the tran is too low, they may not ring properly.

Friedland do a wireless range which is good and the transmitter can be wired into your existing.
The chime bit is portable and more than 1 can be operated from the same transmitter if wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back