Can I cut through these wires?

My comment about transformers was due to the fact that i have found more than one instance where the home owner has connected a tx in the belief that it would charge the batteries. Yes i know it is stupid, But some people are. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, while helping a friend to prepare an old house for rewiring, I grabbed the bell wire leading from the bell push and yanked it from the door frame. There was a shower of sparks, my hand was burnt, and the lights went out.
The bell push was in the primary circuit of the transformer...
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Well, you're certainly going to know that there is someone at the door!
That's not quite what I meant! I meant that having the bell-push in the transformer's primary circuit presumably 'worked' (painlessly, and fairly safely) until stillp yanked out the cable!

Kind Regards, John

I believe it did work. The bell push was inside a sheltered porch - things might have been different if it was exposed to weather.

I believe it did work. The bell push was inside a sheltered porch - things might have been different if it was exposed to weather.
Indeed - I would imagine that your average bell-push is not very weather-resistant! Maybe it was someone's 'clever' idea, to avoid 'wasting electricity' on the transformer other than when it was actually required!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies and discussion. Glad you've all had a chance to reminisce on previous electrocutions

As you say, the question could have been answered with a single word, which is essentially what happened initially.

Well, noooo! Well, ok, I get the feeling that (assuming I've removed the batteries and/or any fingers on the push) I can just cut them, but ... have I got the official "OK" to go for the snip?

As you say, the question could have been answered with a single word, which is essentially what happened initially.
Well, noooo! Well, ok, I get the feeling that (assuming I've removed the batteries and/or any fingers on the push) I can just cut them, but ... have I got the official "OK" to go for the snip?
Yes, just snip them.

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="3105697 said:
VegemiteSandwich";p="3105695 said:
Yes, just snip them.

Kind Regards, John

Fab, thanks for the clarification :) I thought so, but all this electrical give me the jitters. Especially after all the stories of hidden transformers and the fireworks show. I'll snip them and throw a bit of poly filler at the hole.

Fab, thanks for the clarification :) I thought so, but all this electrical give me the jitters. Especially after all the stories of hidden transformers and the fireworks show. I'll snip them and throw a bit of poly filler at the hole.
You're welcome. All the 'discussion' you've seen has been well-intentioned, but, I suspect, really not very helpful to you.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back