doormer cheek min distance for neighbours loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

Ive done a loft conversion with the dormer the full width of the house (see picture) (the dormer cheek is tiled as well. )

my neighbor wants to do something similar and wants it to be the full width as well.

i don't want her to butt her dormer cheek up to mine as i think there is no room to service the dormer cheek if a tile breaks etc.

is there a minimum distance see must keep away from the dormer cheek.?

thank you

Sponsored Links
She can build up to the boundary, and even raise your half of the party wall if she likes

There's an advantage to you if the neighbour does build up to yours. If they simply link up with your roof and front wall, then you lose an external wall and so reduce the heat losses and maintenance requirements.

My brother has a Victorian end of terrace 3 storey house - solid brick, no cavity. There are some flats being built next to it, and my brother is hoping they'll build right up to his gable end without a gap as it sure would reduce his heating bills !

if she builds on my side of party wall she will disturb the tiles on my side and the soakers under them. can she do this. the dormer cheek is right on the edge of my side of the party wall

Sponsored Links
also isn't there a minimum gap required as if there was a problem like cracked tiles , leak how would you be able to service and repair them if there is no gap there.

Not what you want to hear

But the other posts have already told you the same

Simply put they can and TBH there is nothing you can do to stop it as you have carried out the same yourself
No Minimum gap either

I need to get this off my chest ... that is an horrendous fugly dormer.

Back to the question, there is no minimum gap. You are actually better off if the neighbour builds up against the dormer cheek and seals across it

I need to get this off my chest ... that is an horrendous fugly dormer.

Back to the question, there is no minimum gap. You are actually better off if the neighbour builds up against the dormer cheek and seals across it

+1 for the above

Can I ask why the windows are so big that the lead flashing goes over them rather than a course of tile above them and then the lead flashing :?: :?:

Unbelievable - alright for him to do it, but not the neighbour!

The neighbour can knock the tiles off and build right up to the new wall - problem solved, no tiles to fix!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back