Dormer Cheek Windows? Correct name for planning?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you properly describe a dormer with a window in the cheek?
For a loft conversion I'll be doing, I want to create 2 bedrooms upstairs. The bungalow is long, running from front to back, so dormers will have to be on the side. Any windows in the dormer in the standard way will have to be obscure glazed, so I want to put windows on the cheeks of the dormers to give view to street instead of side.

Like this:

dormer cheek window.png

Or, maybe (a mansard style?) like this:

mansard dormer loft conversion.jpg

So inside, it will be like this (but without the roof windows, only wider and with a partition wall down the middle (property is about 6.5m wide, so probably 2 rooms at least 2.5m wide and longish (4m maybe):
front dormer window.jpg

I am trying to see if anybody locally has applied for planning permission to do this, but without knowing what architects and planners call it, I am struggling to find any examples!

Attachments

• front dormer window.jpg
    front dormer window.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 559
Sponsored Links
Any side-facing window on a first floor or above needs to be glazed in obscure glass, and with a top opener no lower than 1.7m above floor level.

Sponsored Links
Thus the desire for a dormer cheek window, rather than a side facing obscured glass one.

If the dormer cheek is not facing the side, you're OK with ordinary glazing.
Don't know if there's any special name for it, other than 'glazed dormer cheek'.

If I want to build an extension with a window in the side, what is it called?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back