Doors for an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an extension to work on shortly, planning has been approved but the detailed drawings are awaited.
So I will need 4-5 internal doors or 7-8 if I replace the existing pine stained ones as well.
The existing front door keeps on binding at the bottom regardless of how much I plane off it and the frame is rotting, lovely Indonesian hardwood, so it needs replacing.
Also require two sets of French doors.

Went into B and Q and wandered around.
They are selling Oak veneered exterior doors for half price, £300 is now £150 and some internal Oak veneered doors for £30. The external doors are described as veneered onto an engineered stile and rail construction. One year guarantee.
Others I have seen on ebay are described as dowelled construction.
So what is the engineered construction? Guessing at a chipboard substrate, just like kitchen units, but not contiboard finish.

All will need corresponding Oak door frames depending on how many I replace.
A look on ebay suggests a price of about £100 for the external door frame.
Not forgetting the architrave and skirting and well.

Based on price I am temped by the internal doors but not sure on the external door.

I checked on the screwfix web site and they sell Oak framed French doors for about £1000 compared with £1500 at B and Q. Same company.

Not done any building work recently so I don't know the quality or prices too well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back