Doorstep repainting and concrete cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice.

I have a 1930 house with a two-tier concrete doorstep. Every time I repaint it with doorstep paint, it’s only a few months before the paint has bubbled up and is peeling away to reveal the layers of old red paint beneath. I’m assuming, but not certain that damp rising through the concrete is causing this?

I have managed to strip all the paint off and now have a plain concrete pair of steps to repaint.

1. Should I paint/treat it with a product first before repainting to prevent moisture (if it is that) bubbling through again?

2. There are some holes/dents that need filling. What should I use to fill them?

3. There is a long but fine crack. How should I deal with that.

Thanks for your time

(If this helps)
When I rub my finger over the concrete there is a very slight talc like powder. Not crumbly or dusty. The surface is pretty smooth.

Attachments

• ECF96617-F88D-4F67-BAF8-6940BCBD876C.jpeg
    ECF96617-F88D-4F67-BAF8-6940BCBD876C.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you might need to apply a special 2 pack epoxy sealant to prevent the moisture from blistering the finish coats. They ain't cheap though,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
as opps said(y) and consider an anti slip one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back