Painting concrete doorstep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My back door step is made of concrete and I have painted it with doorstep paint but after less than a year it is all peeling off. That's the bare concrete you can see underneath in the photo. Is there any way to prepare the surface before repainting with doorstep paint, or should I use a different type of paint? I think it suffers quite a bit from rain damage. I don't think it's even foot traffic as we have a similar piece of concrete at the front of the house, to separate the railings from the road, and that has suffered the same fate with the same paint!

Sponsored Links
paints ****e then,use something else.maybe a black sandtex type paint(if it comes in that colour?)

The paint is used is Ronseal Doorstep Paint. It doesn't appear Sandtex do a doorstep paint. Which kind would I go for?

Sponsored Links
When you rub the concrete with your fingers do you have a powder on them? if so you need to seal/stabilse the concrete first then use a good quality exterior paint. Sandtex is very good, flexible and pretty hard wearing.

Also is the step south facing as a south facing painted surface won't last long.

I've seen people stain the concrete black and then apply a shellac over it, can't voucher for hardiness but it looked pretty good when it was done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back