Doorway lintel replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a crack showing up in the lintel above my front door, most prominent at the bottom but faint line all the way up to a window. Does anyone know how much I would expect a builder to pay to get this fixed? And should I try getting it repaired or just get it replaced?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 65D246CB-6F9B-4DA5-8223-93942F1F9EA2.jpeg
    65D246CB-6F9B-4DA5-8223-93942F1F9EA2.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 6447428F-C493-4793-A8A0-A28DF863854E.jpeg
    6447428F-C493-4793-A8A0-A28DF863854E.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 256
Sponsored Links
That's not a lintel , it's a brick arch

Firstly you need to know why it's cracked, are there any other cracks on your walls?

Those windows look new , have they been replaced recently?

Not worth trying to do anything other than put some sealant in to keep moisture out. It’s just a weak point between the 2 openings so will likely always crack there. Brick arch looks fine
Edit - obvs assuming it’s not visibly getting any worse

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. No other cracks behind this (although some to do with normal movement elsewhere in the house). Windows are approx 5 years old when the double glazing was sorted out.

I did get a builder to have a look and he suggested urgent repairs weren’t necessary (very consistent with what you said 23vc). However the external wall insulation guys have asked for this to be fixed before they provide their guarantee so he suggested helical bars to prevent further movement and strengthen it a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back