Dormer bungalow Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the minimum pitch of roof required for a dormer bungalow roof conversion?
TIA.

Sponsored Links
Boy that's a lot of information to take in, it took me ages to read it all, its nice to get a full and helpful opening post though, not like some people who just post a seemingly generic question and expect you to know what the hell it is they're going on about.

Anyway, do you mean the pitched roof or the flat roof on top of the dormer?

You need the width over all the wall plates to work out the rise and then the pitch.
Post the width and we will answer your question.

Fred,
Either take a course in speed reading, or get your cat to read it for you. :LOL:
Regards oldun

Haha, sorry yes for the brevity, im meaning more along the lines of ..
What is the minimum height of ridge, angle, size sqm of loft conversion to make installing on worth worthwhile. I read that the ridge must be 2.2m above finished ground floor ceiling level to be building reg compliant. Ill take some measurements today and post a pic. Its a single storey 80s, detached, bungalow, interested in whether a dormer type loft conversion will work in this instance. Whats the approximate costs etc, a website said approx 21,000, which i imagine would be recovered if the bungalow was sold on at a later date.

Sponsored Links
The ridge height is only 1.5m, bottom of ridge to top of boards :( The width is about 7.5-8.0m.
I guess the only way in this case is the reroof the bungalow. Is this likely to double the price or so?

I read that the ridge must be 2.2m above finished ground floor ceiling level to be building reg compliant.

There's no legal minimum headroom for ceilings (except over stairs, where it should be 2m minimum).
Elsewhere it can be what you are prepared to put up with.

I read that the ridge must be 2.2m above finished ground floor ceiling level to be building reg compliant.

There's no legal minimum headroom for ceilings (except over stairs, where it should be 2m minimum).
Elsewhere it can be what you are prepared to put up with.

By time he's insulated and put a proper floor in, he'd have to be bl00dy short ;)

Cheers
Richard

By the way, I managed 7' 4" inch ceilings in my dormer bungalow, with a 45 degree pitched roof. Even then quite a lot of the wall is a slope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back