Roof insulation for Dormer Bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excessive bolding removed
Hi I'm thinking of buying a Dormer Bungalow. Someone told me they get very hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. The Bungalow I'm thinking of buying hasn't been converted it was built in the 1960s and purpose built. It has a Dormer type window with a flat roof. Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
This is my one experience. Almost 30 years ago, I rented a chalet style dormer bungalow like this one. It was largely untouched since being built in the mid 1970s. There was about four inches of insulation in the eaves. Upstairs it was as you describe, freezing in winter and like a furnace in summer. It put me off buying something similar. This is probably an extreme example because of the very large roof area. I would imagine insulating against cold isn't too difficult. But I think all dormer bungalows will be hot upstairs in the summer. You can probably make it a lot better than my experience but not cure it. My brother complains about his during hot spells. I'm not a builder and don't know much about insulation!

1674907646846.png

Last edited:
Thanks as I thought. Maybe I'm better looking for a conventional bungalow

Friend has one and worried about the problems you described before buying it. However it was a bargain priced deceased estate and in the area he wanted. Needed a bit of light bringing up to date internally so he made sure he beefed up the upstairs insulation while doing it. Also upstairs added a second radiator and a small, cheap split a/c unit for when it gets a little warm in summer. A/c was a DIY fit and only ever needs to be run on low in the hottest months - so not noticeable on elec bill. He wouldn't move and really likes it. Benefits of bungalows are often bigger gardens and quieter because of numbers of wrinklies as neighbours/lack of sprogs.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi I'm thinking of buying a Dormer Bungalow. Someone told me they get very hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. The Bungalow I'm thinking of buying hasn't been converted it was built in the 1960s and purpose built. It has a Dormer type window with a flat roof. Any advice please.
Dormers, like lofties, are vulnerable to the effects of the weather. Particularly if they are of the period before heat conservation became more thorough. I'd look at the condition of the flat roof and consider whether it needs a re-roof along with the latest 'warm deck' PIR roof insulation. I'd get the dormer walls checked out whilst the scaffold was up and consider a modern materials re-clad.

Thanks I've also heard the rain on the Dormer flat roof can be irritating whilst trying to sleep

A mate bought a bungalow then built a dormer on it (why), I said it might get a bit warm in summer.... a year later an A/C unit appeared on gable end

Same issues as with any loft conversion. You plan the works and ensure adequate insulation and an ac unit. The only issue is have is the flat roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back