Dormer extension removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
I am looking to remove the pictured dormer extension on the cottage at the back of me house. I was just wondering how much I can expect to pay to put the roof back to the original pitched roof. See photos below for a better idea of what is involved. It is of course the dormer on the left that I am talking about. The other one will come later. The house is B listed and I will be removing as much of the modifications as possible over the next few years, starting with this. This is the first time I have used this forum so I hope the pictures come up ok.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie

View media item 66917 View media item 66918 View media item 66919

Sponsored Links
Ok so if no one has an idea on cost perhaps someone can suggest how we could go about removing it? Would we have to put in new rafters all the way from the ridge or could we just bolt extensions onto the side and extend down to wall top?

Structurally speaking the gap left in the roof by the dormer extension should be adequately trimmed and supported by means of purin support etc, so it may be just a case of filling back in between these supports.

However, without a proper look at things it is impossible for people on here to say for sure.

Cost wise, i would expect a best case scenario of £4.5k.

Just had another look at the image and it seems as though they have fitted full length floor joists which extend out onto the external dormer wall, which in turn are taking the load of the rafters, with what looks like a bit of help from a purlin above, but I can't tell for sure.

Studying the images even more closely, I am totally confused.

Is that image of the internal space of the dormer......got it now!

It's the dormer with the pair of Velux windows....! doh!!

Yes, it looks as though you will need to re-roof the entire elevation.
Including things like scaffold, weathering, matching slates etc, I would think that it would be in excess of £9k.

It will be important to adequately support the loaded side also so it is not a simple straight forward job.

Thanks for replying.

As it is they have installed new joist at the same height as they have cut the rafters to install the dormer photo 2. The joist then have beams going down and are supported by the floor joists. Thats what the uprights are that can be seen in the 3rd photo. One of the main reasons I am wanting to do this work is so that I can remove the floor and have the whole space open. The ground floor ceiling height just now is not great. So to be able to take the floor out and have the space full heigh I will need to get the roof supported some other way. I had hoped that there was some other way around it but was starting to think down the same sort of lines. Would it not be possible to bolt on an extension to the rafter to avoid having to dismantle the whole side of the roof?

Jamie

Sponsored Links
One of the main reasons I am wanting to do this work is so that I can remove the floor and have the whole space open. The ground floor ceiling height just now is not great. So to be able to take the floor out and have the space full heigh I will need to get the roof supported some other way. I had hoped that there was some other way around it but was starting to think down the same sort of lines. Would it not be possible to bolt on an extension to the rafter to avoid having to dismantle the whole side of the roof?

Jamie

Removing the entire floor is a different animal and would require a bit of engineering, like steel ridge beams and high level collars etc.

As for the re-instating of the existing roof i.e. bolting an extension onto the existing rafter....
Why bother as there will only be a couple of feet of the existing rafter remaining and a huge hole. You may as well fit full length new ones up to the existing ridge and down to the wall plate..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back