Rough cost for dormer removal & rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After a bit of advice about what I should expect to pay to have the box dormer removed in the following picture and roof returned to standard construction.

Price for removal of dormer and floor only (all other internal works I can do myself).

Location is Surrey.

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Its the kind of job that we'd do on a day rate, or a hefty price, maybe as above, but i'd be more inclined to price it at £7000 to £8000.

Note:there's very little you could DIY; you cant start pulling down studding or dropping stair flights willy nilly.
The roof would have to be made good, and new rafters inserted.
Is there any steel?

Professionals are not going to allow you to wander around, pulling out bits of this or that, as they work at "demolition" - always a dangerous business.

AAMOI: your c/breast requires venting top and bottom, and the elevation render doesn't look all that clever.

Why is the conversion coming out - Legal, BCO?

Thanks for the comments Dann.

Note:there's very little you could DIY; you cant start pulling down studding or dropping stair flights willy nilly.

Why not? If I just want the dormer box removed but stairs to loft left in-situ (along with hole in ceiling) for me to deal with after the dormer is gone and the roofers are done, why is this not an option? If you saw the conversion maybe you'd think differently - they are the crappest wobbliest most unfit for purpose stairs ever! :eek:

I would plan to remove all electrics and plumbing before any demolition started.

Professionals are not going to allow you to wander around, pulling out bits of this or that, as they work at "demolition" - always a dangerous business.

Sure - I'd do my bits (like patching up the ceiling where stairs go in) after they were complete and the roof was rebuilt.

AAMOI: your c/breast requires venting top and bottom, and the elevation render doesn't look all that clever

I also thought this. Had a local chap round and he reckoned no need since they are open in to the loft. There are no signs of damp inside the property (well not by the chimneys anyway!). A lot of the render is knackered. That too is on the list. Trying to postpone it until I can afford external insulation (maybe next yr).

Why is the conversion coming out - Legal, BCO?
None of those. It could stay, but as you can see it's a bit of an eyesore. It's also very badly built. if you look closely you can see little felt hats that poke out of the roof. This is where the wooden beams that support the floor poke out through the roof tiles. Nice!
We moved in about 9 months ago - plan to be here a long time. One of the previous owners was a very bad DIYer - this is one of his constructions. It needs to come down, because it's ugly, the stairs are in the master bedroom, it's preventing me insulating the loft properly and fairly soon it will need a new roof or start leaking. It's too cold in winter and too hot in summer so is not a usable space.

Cheers,
Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back