Replacing roof window with small dormer?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know nobody likes to put a price on anything, but I am keen to have a rough idea of replacing a roof window with a dormer window in Essex. About how much would I expect to pay? Is it about 2 days labour + materials + scaffolding? Or is more involved?
Alternatively, it might involve adding an additional dormer on the opposite wall (and keeping the roof window). Would that cost be the same.

Internal photo of room looking to improve, plus pic of the type of window in the area I live, in Essex.

roof window.png
IMG_20170411_095058211.jpg
The house has 2 windows, so both will be done, if that makes a difference for cost per window.

Sponsored Links
If they are needed, then yes, how much are these too?

Something like this?

avalon-log-homes-construction-manual-20-638.jpg

alternatively, if this is too complicated for a simple estimate, how much should I expect to pay to put in a larger velux? e.g. replace the small one with a nice big one, say 94x140 (https://www.velux.co.uk/roof-window-configurator). Window and flashing is £454, about how much to remove window, cut larger opening, maybe cut tiles to fit, etc. new plasterboard, plaster?

Are we talking a 2 day job, plus materials?

Sponsored Links
If your window faces a road, dormer may require planning.

If you put a wider Velux in, there is beefing and trimming of existing rafters, making good internally also.

2 very good men 2-3 days, but very good men cost more than average men that would make a weeks work out of it. Velux can be done from inside.

keen to have a rough idea of replacing a roof window with a dormer window in Essex. Is it about 2 days labour + materials + scaffolding?

The roof work i.e. scaffold, strip back, remove Velux and associated timbers and fit trimmers and ceiling header beam (assuming it's structurally ok to do so), build dormer sides and roof, re-felt, retile roof with GRP low profile valleys, lead flash and clad dormer cheeks and front, insert new window with sill flashings.

That's the outside taken care of and will take a minimum of three days perhaps four with an experienced team.

Internally; the the cheeks will need insulating with Celotex i.e. 100mm between with 50mm across studs (the 50mm will need to have been allowed for when building the dormer cheeks and considering window width), 300mm loft insulation to roof void, foil back plasterboard and skim. Fix window board.

Anyone who has guessed so far has never had to build a dormer and is likely to be clueless. Expect upwards of £5k. I did both of these in the images. One was built as a dormer the other was converted from a flat roof dormer to a pitched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back