Dormer rafter support; removing spare studs attached to rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question: I am OK to remove a vertical studs attached aside to rafters (incl. dormer support rafter)?

I am removing a small wall adjacent to a dormer window to open up a bit more space in my room corner and add insulation between rafters. This is a 110-year-old house originally built with the dormer, no updates to dormer and roof have been made. The wall (lath and plaster) was built using six studs placed on a floor plate at the bottom and attached on a side of roof rafters at the top. Rafters are 2x4 and the nearest dormer rafter is 3x4. Rafters are ~6m long and span between a wall plate and a purlin at ~3.30m, they are spaced ~12.5-13in apart. Roof is ~3m high, symmetrical over 6.5m wide house (so 3m x 3.25m on once side).
I assume because these vertical studs are attached to a side of rafters with an extra piece of wood in-between with two nails, they do not take load from rafters and are OK to be all removed. Otherwise, they would be attached to rafters directly underneath, not aside. I've already removed all studs apart from the corner one. None of those removed got any load/pressure from rafters as I can cut these and take out by hand. But seeking your advice before I remove the last one.

Note I cannot add an additional sister rafter to 3x4 dormer rafter, as there is not enough space above the purlin in the loft to slide it from inside due to 3.30m length. I'd have to remove quite a lot of the roof (tiles, planks etc.) to slide it from the outside. I could only slide it in two pieces from the inside and join together, but rafter splicing is not desired I assume and defeats a purpose of adding extra strength.
20240224_191359.jpg
20240224_182452.jpg
20240224_182527.jpg

20240224_182442.jpg
20240224_182605.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That looks to be acting as your purlin.
Except there is a purlin half way up the rafters (ignoring 3.3cm value) where logic would expect it to be, interpolation of existing TRADA table with rafters at 300 spacing gives some correlation to a purlin at 3m but thats based on C24 timber so its all a bit of a leap of faith whatever you do as long as its obviously not something totally stupid. As stated fixing to rafters pretty nominal so not particularly designed direct compression. Whatever you do the roof is not going to suddenly come tumbling down especially without any snow loading which it will have been designed for.

Yes, sorry @Dereekoo , I did a typo, the horizontal purlin is at ~3.30m (or 10cm less), i.e. distance from a wall plate to middle of the purlin.
These vertical studs are 2x3, the corner one is 65cm from the external brick wall, or ~1m diagonally up the rafter from the wall plate (roughly half way the dormer angle wall). The roof is at ~45 degree angle.

MODERATOR'S NOTE

Your username looks like it includes your email address. This is not permitted.

Please change it

Click on your name at top of page, then "Account Details."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
It's a bit of space to put some kids stuff there once finished. On the order side of the room there is already a build in wardrobe (ex-boiler space).
Same houses on our street had it removed although I could only see the end result, not how it got made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back