Extending Rafter and Ridge Board

• Thread starter SparkyHomeBuilder
  • Start date
S

SparkyHomeBuilder

Hi all,

I am looking to remove my chimney stack and chimney completely, I have acquired the required planning permission and building regs and party wall act. But I need some advice on repairing the roof once the chimney stack is removed from the loft.

The last two rafters in the loft space rest on the side of the chimney and the ridge board finishes at the chimney. Once the stack is removed from the roof line and the loft the two rafters will have nowhere to rest.

I'd like to sister new rafters onto the old rafters and just continue the new rafter up to meet a new ridge board, but I cant get to the otherside of the old rafter as its tight against the party wall. If I rest the new rafter on the purlin can I just use screws to sister to the old one?

Also whats the best way of extending the ridge board.

Photos attached.
5f0e049d-31b7-42bb-ac50-5117129da78d.jpg 34c67742-bacc-43a2-acde-43995b6aadb1.jpg fca97d37-4857-443c-874b-cfd5ebef9708.jpg

Sponsored Links
None of your images show the ridge-board lol.

However, just butt the new against the old. We did one last week and never bothered with the ridge board.....

Hi noseall,

Thanks for the quick reply, it looks like you put a trimmer in to take the load of the old rafter and to then join your new rafter to?

The rafter I'm on about is tight against a wall so I can't install trimmer across it sadly, I was also planning on removing the stack completely from the loft space.

The ridge board is tiny in this property, looks like a piece of skirting board really.

Sponsored Links
There is no real load as such as long as the opposing rafters abut each other. Hence why a ridge board is so slender.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back