Flat to pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking at converting flat to pitched .
Roof has wingspan on top of joists , so have a couple of questions .
Once this removed will I have to run a joist at 90' along front edge on top of existing joints to act as wall plate to take the birdsmouth rafters ?
Also how will I secure the other end where existing rafters of house roof meet the ridge board ? As these new rafters will have to be lower than existing ridge board as I will be looking at roof tiles
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, you will need a wall plate and it will require strapping down.

If this new roof lands onto an existing roof then you will have to construct a valley either with pre-made trusses or via a ridge board, lay boards and jack rafters.

Hi noseall
Thank you for your reply :)
I've done rough sketch (Ha ha no artist)
The existing ceiling joists are obviously the base of the former roof but with decking removed .
Can the wall plate be screwed or nailed to existing joists or doesn't it not conform to BR and needs to be strapped down ?
The birds mouth will sit on the wall plate but unsure of how the other end (ridge end)
Will be fixed or wot too ?
As I kno it's not deep enough to secure proposed rafters too
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20181119_192826.jpg
    20181119_192826.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 164

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back