Dormer Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all in converting the roofspace in my hipped roof garage for use as storage, there is a floor in place but can only be accessed with a ladder, i have now build a staircase up to it but i need to put a dormer on in order to get a decent headheight when climbing the stair s.

Now with it not being a habitable area i dont need building regs, or pp, but i would like to build the dormer so that someone else down the line could convert to a granny flat or office etc.

Now i am not going to insulate the roof rafters etc because they have already been covered in plaster board and skimmed probably when it was built, but i would like to insulate the new dormer roof,
would you advise i just do a cold flat, of a warm roof, i intend to felt the roof with torch on felt.

I have no problems in how a cold foof is constructed but a couple of questions on how a warm roof is construted, do you need to board first, then lay kinkspan and board again and lay felt, where does the damp membrane go in this situation.

Or do you feel a warm roof here will be poinless with me leaving the rest of roof as it is??

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back