Dormer windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have searched the forum and whilst there are lots of Dormer related questions none answer my question.

Here goes...

We are looking at a semi the house has 2 existing dormer windows at the front and 1 kind of dormer at the back all 3 have flat roofs

Would we need PP to pitch the roofs with matching tile?

Would we need PP to extend the existing dormers further out on the roof but not higher than the top of the roof?

I have read somewhere about facing a highway??? The front of the house obviusly faces a road but this is just a small cul de sac road and not a main road.

Thanks for reading.

:D

Sponsored Links
You cannot do anything to any existing dormers on the elevation that faces the highway without Planning Permission. That said though, if the house would be more attractive following the addition of pitched roofs on the dormers you may well be successful should an application be submitted. You could always talk to the planners and try and gauge their opinion.

On the rear you can add a pitched roof provided the new ridge of your dormer is no higher than the ridge of the main roof. You can move the wall further down the pitch provided the external face of the new wall is set at least 20cm up from the eaves. You can do all that without Planning Permission. This also assumes the house has not had any restrictions with regards to Permitted Development placed upon it and you are not in a conservation area or AONB etc.

Further reading here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/loftconversion/

and here specifically page 32 onwards: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back