Dormer Roof Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some help and advice with our dormer roof.

A building contractor completed our dormer loft conversion around two years ago. However, we have been having major issues with tiles lifting. It started with minor creaking and chatter to over the last year the tiles have been lifting and crashing back down on the timber frame. Quite a few of the tiles have started to crack and come loose.

The tiles that were fitted where Calderdale Edge concrete tiles. Online these tiles say they support a 16.5 degree pitch. It has come to our attention that our roof pitch is only 9 degrees. Our roof faces west over a 50-acre field so we are very exposed to high winds.

We have spoken with the builder and he has suggested pinning all the tiles and that this will fix the issues. But we are concerned that this will hide the issue for a few more years rather than fixing it.

I don't know much about roofing but have I spent the last week or so researching and it seems our only way forward would be to replace the current tiles with some type of flat roofing systems such as felt or fibreglass.

The builder is very insistent that pinning will work, please can someone point me in the right direction to ensure we get a solution which will last the years to come and not a temporary fix until his 5-year warranty runs out.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Pinning all of them will not help. It's not just a case of stopping them lifting, it's also a matter of durability. The lower the roof pitch, the harder it is for the tiles to dry out so they stay damp for longer. This is a problem in the winter when they are subject to freeze/thaw.
9° is to all intents and purposes a flat roof; you need to consider a continuous finish, such as GRP or EPDM (rubber). Metal is also a possibility.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the tiles have been approved for use in the first place, every single tile should have been clipped down in any case which would have stopped them lifting, and not as some sort of retro fit work.

Get the tile rep out to report on it.

Could be the reason damp isn't showing up inside the dormer already could be because the underlay is keeping it out.
Wind and air pressure can force rain up underneath tiles if they are laid at to low a pitch.
This is a picture posted on DIYnot some years ago,new tiled roof with 9 degree pitch leaked.
79656048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back