Does it matter if I'm missing a roof joist in a pitched roof? (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a roof joist that is rotted away from near the top all the way to the bottom. It runs underneath one side of the roof dormer. I've pulled back the lead and lifted tiles, and there is a thick piece of wood running up the base of the dormer that is fine.

As the roof joists are very regular, and I'm pretty sure I've located and mended the leak, I was planning on just attaching the battens to the side of the wooden beam at the base of the dormer, using right angled steel brackets, so the tiles can sit level.

Just after some advice really - any would be greatly appreciated :)

(On the pics - there's extra wood - a roofer added these as a temp fix just to hold up the roof tiles until we could get the joist fixed - on our request.)

Attachments

• 20230929_091109.jpg
    20230929_091109.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230929_091118.jpg
    20230929_091118.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230929_091223.jpg
    20230929_091223.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
We have a roof joist that is rotted away from near the top all the way to the bottom. It runs underneath one side of the roof dormer. I've pulled back the lead and lifted tiles, and there is a thick piece of wood running up the base of the dormer that is fine.

As the roof joists are very regular, and I'm pretty sure I've located and mended the leak, I was planning on just attaching the battens to the side of the wooden beam at the base of the dormer, using right angled steel brackets, so the tiles can sit level.

Just after some advice really - any would be greatly appreciated :)

(On the pics - there's extra wood - a roofer added these as a temp fix just to hold up the roof tiles until we could get the joist fixed - on our request.)
What's your question? :confused:

One of our roof joists has rotted away. Just wondering if it's vitally important to get it replaced or not. The leak is fixed now. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry - my question was in the subject but forgot to say it again. Also, I got my terms wrong so double oops. .

We have a rafter that is totally rotted away. Just wondering if we need to replace it. It runs under one side of the dormer, and there are 5 other rafters under the rest of the dormer that are still good.

It runs under the edge of the dormer so quite awkward to get to. I guess I just thought if the leak is fixed, and the dormer kind of sits on the wall at the base, and presumably is attached to the edge of the shorter rafters along it's top edge, then is there any need.

Sorry made a mistake again - obviously it doesn't sits on 5 other rafters. The base sits on the outer wall, and I'm guessing the top is attached to the base of the shorn off rafters along it's top edge

It runs under the edge of the dormer so quite awkward to get to. I guess I just thought if the leak is fixed, and the dormer kind of sits on the wall at the base, and presumably is attached to the edge of the shorter rafters along it's top edge, then is there any need.
There should be a double or triple rafter already there?
If not, leave that one in place and sister it up with two more each side. Get some long fixings/bolts and fix through the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back