Dormer Roof Covering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some quotes from a few roofers for my dormer roof covering. All the quotes came in at around £500. Money is tight at the moment so I have decided to do the job myself.

Problem is I haven't done it before and I'm not sure what materials to buy and how to go about the job. Also, does the roof need a tar/bitumen coating to make it watertight? If so, what type do I need? :confused:

If anybody can give me some tips it would help me out a lot.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The easiest stuff to use is torch on you will need a glassfiber underlay which you nail to the deck and the a layer of torch on underlay, which you torch on(you can hire a torch and gas)start by heating one end of the felt and sticking it down then torch the felt as you roll it out.
Then you need to form the drip curb (where the roof runs into the gutter)Take a 300mm strip of capping felt and nail it grit side to the battens which should be fixed to your fascia, butt left hanging down take a 75mm strip of hardboard and by VERY gently torching the felt stick this to the top of the felt.Then torch the remaining exposed felt and fold it back over the hardboard and over onto the top of the roof.
You then torch on a capping sheet by repeating the procedure as for the underlay.
Finally you need to form the verges (the edges)
Follow the same proceedure as for the drip curb but this time use about 500mm strips as you will probably have to go up over raised edges.
Even though this stuff is remarkably clean to work with compared to traditional tar you will probably still get messy(its amazing how easy the pros make it seem)
The only difficult bit really is sorting out the corners,
This is a job you can carry out your self and I have done in the past when I first started converting lofts. But to be honest I wouldn't bother myself as it will probably take you a day,whereas the pros will probably do it in half that, they won't drip tar all down your windows, you can get them back in if you have any problems and they will take away all the rubbish from your existing roof and you wont write off a set of clothes in the process.

Your looking at about £30 a roll for the felt 10mx1m and about the same to hire a torch

Cheers chappers I'll give it a go now. I wasn't looking forward to using tar on the roof, this torch on sounds much cleaner.

Sponsored Links
REMEMBER to be very carefull with gas torch your roof timbers are very dry and it won t take much before your are calling 999

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back