Dormer slate side cheeks and soaker upstands

B

blackranger

i have to repair a roof that has a dormer the side cheeks are slate.

The main slope of roof were it meets dormer will have soakers.

What do i do about the soaker upstand?

Do i just tile over the upstand?
Do nail a peice of lead flashing across the upstand then tile?

Sponsored Links
Agree with CWB. The material you use to cover the dormer cheeks will deal with the upstand.

If however there are faced masonry cheeks in place you will then need to chase in a stepped cover flashing over the soakers the same as any roof - wall abutment.

Thanks

no faced masonry just natural slate.

its a a very old roof and they have used zinc L shaped along the cheeks of the dormer/hay door to carry the water away. Unfortunately the zinc has cracked in the corner and rotted a roof rafter.(now replaced)

I now need to replace the zinc with soakers, add more slates to make them meet up.

I am no roofer, i understand the principles. So hopefully ill manage it lol.

Sponsored Links
since the dormer is at the bottom of the roof, can i just remove 3 rows all the way up the zinc rather than removing all the slate from the ridge down?

Then slate hook the top few slates near the top of the dormer(if need be)?

Can it be done ?
is it lazy?

Would the pro's do it that way?

I am not putting felt on.

Use the slate ripper to remove the one above, then remove the slates going down.
Reslate, fitting new soakers, the last slate will need a lead/copper strap to hold it in place.

the sides/halfits of the dorma will probs have to be removed fully as for the main roof you should be able to just take a few out

yes doing it now ......assume its really old as nails are square...stripped the cheeks and taken half the zinc off

probs hand made nails i come across them alot

I am always impressed by a hand made nail...lol Unsure what these are made off/coated with. Its not copper and not all of them are rusty. I assume they are from 1900's

Thanks too all that helped with info. Dormer re-slated and no leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back